Asbestos Training for Maintenance Workers & Supervisors
Ten facts about asbestos:
1. Asbestos is the biggest cause of deaths currently occurring as a result of exposure in the workplace.
2. Asbestos-related diseases kill one person every five days in BC. 3. It was widely used as a building material until 1999 when it was banned.
4. It can still be found in any house or building built before 2000, and many after that date as well.
5. It can take anywhere between 15 to 60 years for symptoms of an asbestos-related disease to develop.
6. It can be in many commonly found materials and may be in places that you might not expect.
7. You can’t see or smell asbestos fibers.
8. Asbestos is only a danger when the fibers are released, made airborne and breathed in.
9. As long as the asbestos is in good condition, is located somewhere where it can’t be easily damaged and is not disturbed, then it shouldn’t be a risk to you.
10. This BC HAZMAT Management one day Asbestos Awareness course will make you safer in your workplace, and in your home.
The course will provide workers and supervisors with valuable information about the types of asbestos, the properties where asbestos is likely to be found and the risks of disturbing it. It will also explain the effects asbestos has on a workers health and the diseases from exposure. Attendees will also learn the legal responsibilities they have and legislation in relation to asbestos in general.
Here’s a great ad from the Tasmanian government.
Substitute WorksafeBC and it applies here.
Call 250-656-3382 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your course now.