BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. Bullying Policy – Issued Oct. 2013, revised annually
BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. is committed to providing all employees a healthy and safe work environment. BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. will ensure that procedures exist to allow complaints of bullying to be dealt with and resolved within BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. without limiting any person’s entitlement to pursue resolution of their complaint with the relevant statutory authority. BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. is committed to the elimination of all forms of bullying.
This policy applies to all employees of BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. It applies during normal working hours, at work related or sponsored functions, and while travelling on work related business. There will be no recriminations for anyone who in good faith alleges bullying.
Bullying is unwelcome or unreasonable behavior that demeans, intimidates or humiliates people either as individuals or as a group. Bullying behavior is often persistent and part of a pattern, but it can also occur as a single incident. It is usually carried out by an individual but can also be an aspect of group behavior. Some examples of bullying behavior are:
- Abusive and offensive language
- Spreading rumor and innuendo
- Unreasonable criticism
- Trivializing of work and achievements
Manipulating the work environment
- Isolating people from normal work interaction
- Excessive demands
- Setting impossible deadlines
- Unfairly blaming for mistakes
- Setting people up for failure
- Deliberate exclusion
- Excessive supervision
- Practical jokes
- Belittling or disregarding opinions or suggestions
- Criticizing in public
Context is important in understanding bullying, particularly verbal communication. There is a difference between friendly insults exchanged by long-time work colleagues and comments that are meant to be, or are taken as, demeaning. While care should be exercised, particularly if a person is reporting alleged bullying as a witness, it is better to be genuinely mistaken than to let actual bullying go unreported.
CONSEQUENCES OF BULLYING
Bullying is unacceptable behavior because it breaches principles of equality and fairness, and it frequently represents an abuse of power and authority. It also has potential consequences for everyone involved.
People who have been bullied often suffer from a range of stress-related illness. They can lose confidence and withdraw from contact with people outside the workplace as well as at work. Their work performance can suffer, and they are at increased risk of workplace injury.
For the employer
Besides potential legal liabilities, the employer can also suffer because bullying can lead to:
- Deterioration in the quality of work
- Increased absenteeism
- Lack of communication and teamwork
- Lack of confidence in the employer leading to lack of commitment to the job
For others at the workplace
People who witness bullying behaviors can also have their attitudes and work performance affected. They can suffer from feelings of guilt that they did nothing to stop the bullying, and they can become intimidated and perform less efficiently fearing that they may be the next to be bullied.
Managers and supervisors:
- Ensure that all employees are aware of the anti-bullying policy and procedures
- Ensure that any incident of bullying is dealt with regardless of whether a complaint of bullying has been received
- Provide leadership and role-modeling in appropriate professional behavior
- Respond promptly, sensitively and confidentially to all situations where bullying behavior is observed or alleged to have occurred
- Be familiar with and behave according to this policy
- If you are a witness to bullying, report incidents to your supervisor, President or Human Resources Director as appropriate
- Where appropriate, speak to the alleged bully(ies) to object to the behavior
IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE BEEN BULLIED
- Any employee who feels he or she has been victimized by bullying is encouraged to report the matter to his or her supervisor or Manager.
- Where appropriate, an investigation will be undertaken and disciplinary measures will be taken as necessary.
BCHAZMAT Management Ltd. seeks to provide a safe and healthy work environment for its employees. Harassment will not be tolerated within this company.